Friday, October 1, 2010

Reading Through The Internet

There's this website called xkcd and it has funny little cartoons. I was looking at the "About" section and here was one of the questions the moderator answered:

How do I write "xkcd"? There's nothing in Strunk and White about this.

For those of us pedantic enough to want a rule, here it is: The preferred form is "xkcd", all lower-case. In formal contexts where a lowercase word shouldn't start a sentence, "XKCD" is an okay alternative. "Xkcd" is frowned upon.
I thought that was pretty witty. 

3 comments:

  1. i dont know if its a good thing or not that i totally figured that out without knowing it was the convention. lawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally a good thing! (i think)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I want to know is...where can I get a copy of Strunk and White?

    ReplyDelete