Sunday, May 15, 2011

Something About Something Good

I'm sitting in my bed thinking about things that people have said (that's a lot of things). And something that I heard from someone who spoke at my church, that I'm glad I heard because I think hearing it has benefited me more now than then.

And that something is... consciously trying not to do something is really hard and you just end up doing it again. He said something like "Don't think about elephants. Now who's thinking about elephants?". Of course, everyone was thinking about elephants (unless they didn't hear him). Then later on in the sermon he was like "Notice how no one was thinking about elephants since that last time I said not to?" The point he was making was focusing so hard on trying NOT to do something (like sin) is the hard way to not do it. Instead, we should focus on something else (like Jesus, and doing stuff that make him, and in the end, us, happy).

Now where was I going with this... oh right. Got it (I had another tab open and that tab had a blog which triggered the idea of this blog. In case you wanted to know). Lately I've been a bit emo (if you haven't noticed, it probably means I'm too shy to show you. If you have noticed, I'm sorry but you're the unfortunate/fortunate ones who get to see the real me. Lucky you).

ANYWAY, rather than pondering on depressing thoughts and wishing things weren't so depressing, I've decided (about ten minutes ago), to ponder on other things. 

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." 

"I simply remember my favourite things, and then I don't feel.... so bad"
This bible verse and the song from Sound of Music popped into my head. Positive thinking I think this is called. Something else about joy I remember Bradley Hathaway said in one of his poems was this:

"...start singing songs to the one that gave me this joy that I'm feeling, but it's more then just some fleeting feeling, it's eternal truth in which I am reeling."

I'll listen to Bradley Hathaway because I like his poems. I'm also going to go talk to God now. Ask him what he thinks about my blog, thank him and say how brilliant I think he is. Bye!

1 comment: