Saturday, October 8, 2011

Being Human (I don't like that title)

Some people see the world without much emotion. It's like finding the scientific explanation to things makes them less beautiful because we know how it operates.

"A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines on to droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere. It takes the form of a multicoloured arc. 
Rainbows caused by sunlight always appear in the section of sky directly opposite the sun." - Wiki

Knowing this doesn't make it any less beautiful. And when there's a double rainbow, it's doubly awesome.

People do this with human emotions and behaviour too. We dissect things to find the scientific explanation like chemical triggers in the brain. People can explain why romance and chocolate make you feel the same kind of satisfaction. But that doesn't make either thing less enjoyable (shut up about the example k?).

Science is fascinating (right?!) but we shouldn't let it replace the beauty of life. The stars were pretty bright dots before we knew it was a  "massive, luminous ball of plasma held together by gravity.". It's beautiful even now that we know.

All animals have sex and babies. But humans adopt other babies - from across the world. After years of paperwork and paying a heap of money and waiting in a super long waiting list and being interviewed intensely about the type of home they can provide. That isn't instinct. That's commitment. 

When the going gets tough or depressing, humans keep going. We choose to do what doesn't feel so good if we think it's right. There may be some scientific explanation but it's still amazing.

Like getting halfway through Zumba and feeling like your insides are about to spill out of your sides but choosing to keep going and do the whole 50 mins. Like forgiving someone who broke a promise, who lied, who told your colouring in intermediate school was ugly. Like being selfless and giving. 

I believe that this capacity to do what seems contrary to our instincts is God given. We humans are special vessels that He can operate through. We can show goodness and kindness because He does through us.  Those times that I hate people - it's He who reminds me of His great love for me and for that person. He reminds me that He's expanded my capacity to love to reach those who I feel don't deserve it. He reminded me that it isn't up to me to decide who deserves love. He made enough for everyone and I shouldn't deprive them of it. He reminded me that He loved me when I ignored him for a week. I wouldn't read his letters or talk to him except for that time I needed him.

I don't know how to end this blog and it didn't really go where I initially intended. But I'll stop now because I'm tired and if I don't publish this now, I may read it tomorrow, second guess myself and not publish it at all. Which is happening already... argh.. PUBLISH!! okay....

No comments:

Post a Comment