Sunday, December 25, 2011

Silent Night

I didn't post yesterday sadly. I really did hope to post a Christmas Eve post. But yesterday was a day of final cleaning, decorating blah blah blah. Even when I wasn't doing anything, I felt like I had to be on alert to be assigned a job so no time to blog.

It's 3:11 right now and everyone is tucked in bed, deep in slumber (except for a certain brother and cousins at my cousin's house who ditched me and are watching Super 8. Punks).

Living room: decorated
Christmas music: on low
Disturbing noise level: zero
Cookies: cooking in the oven

Here are the ones already out of the oven:



I'm savouring every hour I have in this living room in it's current state. Tomorrow (or rather, today), it will be filled with family, chatter, laughter, busy-ness, food and activities. Presents will be exchanged, food will be demolished and memories created. Followed closely by a mass cleanup. But I'm trying not to think about that. As much as I'm looking forward to excitement, I crave peace and quiet very easily. So I delight in it now.

In this quiet, I'm able to remember the reason for the season. Christmas is a loud kind of holiday. Lots of doing doing doing. Things are always happening till the new year. Shopping, decorating, planning, cooking with everything happening right up to the last minute. But sitting here in the quiet of the night, I can sit and think about Jesus. The man of the hour. The God who became a baby to become a man who redeemed every human. I'm so familiar with the story that I can easily become complacent. Like blah blah blah Jesus in the manger blah blah blah. But the gospel (literally translating into 'good news') shouldn't be brushed over with such a blasé attitude. 


Thank you Jesus for such a loving act. Sitting here with you, eating cookies and drinking milk makes this a very
special Christmas. 


Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! I hope you and your loved ones have a gay old time.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Santa :) (cookies and milk...hehe)

    Before Lali opened her pressies this morning, she said a thank you / happy birthday prayer to Jesus. Yay! She gave out little chocolate Santas and said she's saving one for Jesus too. Gartiness.

    Enjoy the day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Laura! Of course you don't know me from a bar of soap but I have been reading your blog and I really enjoy your writing style. Those cookies look delicious - I was wondering if you were going to attach a recipe for them at the end but sadly it was not to be : ( Hope you had a great day and look forward to your next post. Love Bina's comment about her daughter saying a thankyou/ happy birthday prayer to Jesus - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete