Monday, January 9, 2012

Being An Aunty

One of my nieces lives in Wellington and she came up to Auckland in the weekend (now when I say she came up, she came up with her parents. She's only 3.). And what I noticed and kept saying was how much she'd grown! She was taller and was able to talk more. She was much more mature and I couldn't get over how much she'd grown in the 8 months since I last saw her.

This reminded me of all those times I would see old relatives I hadn't seen since I was a little girl in Samoa and they would be all "Oh my goodness Laura you're so big now (both in age and size. You know Samoan adults. So tactful and sensitive). You've grown so much". And I just smile and stand there but inside I think to myself "Well, yeah, of course I grew up. Mitosis isn't exactly optional". 

But now I know what it's like for them. I understand. And I want to slap younger me for being a lil' impatient arse. 


Something good about today:

Peanut was being really cute all day and wanted to play with me. She's so playful and I'm sure she KNOWS she's adorable and just milks it. But I'm not complaining.


Have a good day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment