Tuesday, January 31, 2012

You're Beautiful... nek minit....

Semi-angry ranting I think...

Okay for the purposes of this blog I'm going to need for you to understand what I mean by the words "pretty" and "ugly".
Pretty: As in, hollywood pretty, television pretty, you know, THAT pretty. Clear skin, skinny (but not too skinny), clean, tamed hair etc etc etc
Ugly: Opposite to the above.

Please no "everyone's beautiful on the inside" comments (for the few ones that do...). I just need words that distinguinsh the two groups and I'm working with what the English language gave me.

ANYWHO, onto what I was meaning to talk about...

I don't know about you but it gets to me when pretty people sing and have music videos from the point of view of an ugly person. At first I didn't have a problem with it, but I've been noticing it a lot lately so it's been smacking me in the face.... Bruno Mars' song Just The Way You Are was the start of it for me (maybe people did it before but this one was so in my face so I took notice). My friend pointed it out when the music video first came out but I didn't care all that much. But now... lol.  The lyrics read "...when I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change. 'Cos your amazing, just the way you are...". Well of COURSE you like her face - it took a hair and make-up team to make that face look good. Plus she has a pretty hot body plus an even tan and all her teeth and stuff. The song and the music video just don't relate. If you really wanted to make a point - put an ugly girl there, sing to her and REALLY say you love her just the way she is.

(I hate to use these guys as an example cos I think they're just sweet... but...) One Direction's song What Makes You Beautiful sings about that one girl who doesn't know she's beautiful but it's exactly THAT that makes her beautiful, with the lyrics being "...you don't know you're beautiful, that's what makes you beautiful..." I mean, I get it that some pretty people may legit not see that they're beautiful, but it's more common that ugly people don't see they're beautiful. But the video girls are all skinny (but that hot skinny, not the anorexia one...) and just all-round music-video ready.

I get that people on television "have" to look way prettier than in every day life because that's the way it is in our culture - but when they do with hand-in-hand with "you're beautiful on the inside so that makes you beautiful on the outside" messages, it's just not cool. But you know, prettyness sells more than averageness or ugliness. Outside prettyness is corelated with good things - health, kindness, beauty, love etc. When we see pretty - we see these things. So these pretty girls dancing to inspirational songs are just a whole lotta good things for our eyes and ears.

But where does leave the ugly people? In a place where they think no one will see their inner beauty unless they have outer beauty. Or is that just me......

I have more to say on this but I'll leave it here because I'm starting to legit get angry amd I don't want to be....


Also, just to clear things up, I've had some pretty good days since my last blog so I hope you don't think these past few days have been hell just because I went from sad post to angry ranting post. I've been very happy between this and my previous post. Just for proof:

Eek! Uneven eyebrows... I'm so unbeautiful!.... So that's makes me beautiful right??...

Something good about today: 
My sister who lives in Samoa is here for a visit. I've missed her heaps!! We're making the most of her time here but drinking hot drinks and staying home. Good times....

No comments:

Post a Comment