Wednesday, December 5, 2012

High School

Was nothing like I expected. I dreamed of lockers, cafeterias how fun it must be to have multiple teachers. I dreamed of juicy gossip and loads of drama.

Turns out high school was nothing like Mean Girls, 10 Things I Hate About You and every other American teen movie I've seen. Well, maybe it is in America...

I had zero exciting drama and no lockers. I had friends who I never ever fought with and the teachers weren't out to get me. I was never absolutely hated and not adored by all... pretty average really. I was never "fresh gossip" and most of the time... it never reached my ears so I knew little to none about my fellow peers.

The only thing I seriously stressed, panicked over and lost sleep to was... the schoolwork. Which is weird because that's what the characters I watch NEVER talk about. Or they only mention it slightly but proceed onto to mawling each other faces with saliva... or so, that's what it looks like.

I never felt pressured to drink, smoke or have sex. Some people around me did it, but I always felt like they were merely suggesting it but didn't care if I didn't. Live and let live.

School. Was. Stressful. I worried too much about making my work perfect and whether or not the teacher will approve instead of trying to impress myself with the best I could do.

Just about everyone I met were friendly to me. Those who weren't, were soon forgotten - because I don't remember anybody who was rude or mean but surely not 100% of people I met were nice to me...

I loved nearly all my teachers. I am lucky.

It's been a good five years with LOOOOADS of memories. Many we can look back and laugh at. Thank you all for the good times.

Have fun being adults everyone! :)
"Adult" is not a synonym for boring and does not mean you've got it all figured out.
It just means if you get arrested... you go to real jail.

Goodnight :)

6 comments:

  1. this is beautiful Laura,... I'm so over people talking about high school drama and everything else so reading this is refreshing! all the best with the future you intelligent you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha not your usual. yep - you can find that here XD

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this, it made me feel like I was back in high school too. Glad to know someone else also had a positive high school experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to good high school experiences! :D Thaaanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. This is really cool for us homies to read, as all we know of High-School is what we see in the cheesy American movies. On behalf of us all, Thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. Your parents must be so proud of you Laura - a young woman of maturity, insight, levelheadedness AND a great writer too.

    ReplyDelete