Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Privilege

I am privileged.

No, I'm not a middle-upper class Caucasian heterosexual male but I have a lot of other privileges.

I'm somewhat of a thinker. I love pondering and musing and questioning. I love thinking about our subconscious behaviour, social constructions, cultural differences, the emotional effects of puberty, the meaning behind the tone of voice, amount of eye contact or choice of words. I love identifying recurring patterns in human behaviour and how often people think they're the exception to the pattern - yet that very thought fits into the mold. I like to think about my countless scenarios of unrequited love and how accurate movies are at depicting real life.

I've devoted many hours to thinking and talking about, writing down and typing up my thoughts. Many many hours. The amount of hours of a privileged person. You see, I've never worked a day in my life. I go to school, stress over schoolwork and go on the internet.

That's privilege number one - not having to work. Both mum and dad work and I got pocket money - something unheard of in my family. I've never earned money I've owned. I'm their daughter and that fact got me money. That's privilege I say. My parents are no billionaires, and yet. So not having to slave away for mula, I've had a lot of free time to myself. I know some people from school who work straight after school and during weekends - a life I've never had to experience. So I was free to think. And think. And think. I didn't have to worry about bills, rent or trying to help out in the family affairs. I was just a free bird. And that's privilege.

Privilege number two - being child number 6 out of 7. Being so far down the line meant I was not the child that responsibility was thrust upon. That was given to my poor older sisters. They looked after me, paid for a lot of my leisure activities and always did chores and stuff like that. I was babied. Even now that I'm technically an adult, I'm still very much their little sister. They look out for me constantly - even when they're living far away. I was never pressured or burdened with major older sister responsibilities. I have one younger sister, but we just hang out and ch-chill. I'm rarely her caregiver like my sisters were, and are, for me.

Privilege number three - internet access at home. This is one many teenagers I know experience, but that does not make a difference. Thanks to the wireless broadband at home, I've been able to spend hours writing and reading other people's philosophical and sociological arguments and observations. Thus, enabling me to develop my own.

There are many many more I'm sure but I'm figuring this post is getting a bit lengthy and extremely babbly. I apologise for that - I feel like it's been ages since I've last posted so I'm just unleashing my fingers to dance around the keyboard as much as possible while I'm at an internet cafe.

I just want to add one last note, I hope I didn't come off braggy or show-offy. That was not my intention at all. I just wanted to credit the fact that something a lot of people compliment me on (which is my ability to make interesting observations, conclusions, comments and ideas) is not due to me alone. I'm not able to devote so much time and energy into it (and trust me, I do) if it wasn't for loads of other factors in and around my life that enable me to live the privileged life I do.

And I'm extremely grateful for it. Thank you God for the immense blessings you provide. Thank you family for raising me to be as well off as I am. Thank you friends who let me spill me cray cray thinking spree on them. Thank you everyone who's ever been part of my life because consiously or subconsiously, you've helped make me who I am today.

Okay, this blog is waaay too long and unstructured and all over the place - I'll try to be better next post. Thank you for reading this far. Thank you reader, for making me feel like my thoughts are valid because you take the time out of your life to peruse through them.

(That was three paragraphs of "one last note". I'm quite bad at this... haha)

Bye for now :)

1 comment:

  1. This is cool. I don't they we as a people realize how much we are actually privileged. Good on you! :)

    ReplyDelete